In 1875 Wm. Davy was brought to Bancroft by Billa Flint to run a lumber planer which he had installed near the dam. William operated the mills and then turned them over to his sons who founded the Davy Brothers company. This company was responsible for the construction of many buildings in town including the first Catholic Church in 1893.
William and Jane had four sons, Chester, George, Adam and William. The family bought the Bancroft General store owned by James Cleak. They built their first saw mill on the site of the old IGA building along the west side of the river south of the Station Street bridge.
In 1908 The Davy’s saw and shingle mill was listed as Bancroft’s most important industry when it was destroyed by fire on August 20th. At the time they manufacture cheese boxes, basket bottoms, lath, and lumber. It is estimated that about one million feet of lumber was destroyed.
Will Jr. realized his lifetime ambition when he became the Checker Champion of Eastern Ontario, and he was also an excellent Bridge player.