Oswald’s parents David Fuller and Josephine Jones arrived in Bancroft as very genteel settlers in the spring of 1884. Neighbours recalled that they were ill prepared for the rigors of life in the then tiny village.David worked in the mills of Billa Flint.
In 1902 Mr. Fuller bought his own woolen mill site and constructed a three story building with a stone basement. The woolen mill was vital to the town’s economy so when it burned in 1928 it was considered a great loss to the town.
They rebuilt and added more generators and flume gates to increase power. When David died in 1935, Oswald gave up his career on the railroad and came home to take over the family business. He expanded and improved the business. Newfoundland continued to be a major customer and he sold all across Canada.
In 1965 he sold the mill to Jack and Jean Smith.