Dorman E Hawley was born to Wesley Hawley and Mary Etta Switzer in 1879 in a log house east of the Eagle’s nest near the old Snow Road. In 1900 Dorman married Mary J. Lisk and moved into the village were he had a building about where the Times Office now stands. He made special custom boots for the river driving trade.
In 1907 he and Mary bought what we now know as the Hawley building on the west side of Hastings Street to the north of the Scotia Bank from Paddy Rody. Paddy had operated a liquor store and bar there. Dorman sold sewing machines, separators and farm scales. By 1913 he was a farm implement agent and in 1917 became a sub dealership for a Frankford company selling Chevrolet cars.
After a short stint in business with Ed Maxwell Dorland secured his own dealership selling Durants in 1933. Hawley had a Chrysler and International dealership. Hawley’s sons Herman, Keith and Earl took over in 1945.