John Kelusky was the son of Charles Kelusky and Ernestina Bauts. He was born in Monteagle, the second youngest son in 1870. His siblings were Augusta, Herman, Charles, Hanna, Elizabeth (Lizzie), William, and Frank. He married Hattie Hanna and was a store owner and merchant his whole life. They had a large white house on the east side of Sherborne St. south.
John had a store from 1897 to 1903 on Bridge Street. He often told stories of the old days before cars when people came to town only occasionally to shop for staples. They stayed all day and their wagons or sleighs were filled for the return trip home to outlying farms or smaller communities. His clerks carried out the sales but John handled the money. The clerk would put the money paid into a cup which was then taken up to his office by a pulley system. John would make the change and send it down to the clerk to give to the customer.
John Kelusky owned and operated a store in Bancroft the 1890‘s through to the late 1950‘s. His advertising banners can be seen spanning Hastings street in many old pictures It was located on the east side of Hastings Street north of Flint Street where the Toronto Dominion Bank now sits.