Mrs. McFee has the honour of laying the cornerstone at the new Methodist church. This picture was taken on October 3, 1897 when the structure was enlarged by Wm. A Davy and was dedicated by the Rev. S. J. Storey of Peterborough. The original structure was built in the 1870’s
The church later in 1925 became St. Paul’s United church on the south east corner of Bridge and Hastings Streets.
There was Knox Presbyterian congregation and that church was located on the west Hastings Street south across from the entrance to Peobe Street.
The Methodist congregation occupied what is now St. Paul’s United church. Because the congregations became too small to support two churches in many villages the United Church of Canada was formed and the congregations united.