Clarke Tivy Rollins was the son of Charles S. Rollins and Ellen A. Clarke Rollins born December 14, 1911. As a young man Clarke was an avid fisherman and hunter. He played baseball for the Coe Hill Team.
He had one son, Charles Robert, from his marriage to Rhoda Soul who passed away in 1962. Clarke married Beverly Hurley on election night in 1967 and they had two sons, Clarke Thomas and Andrew Charles (deceased 2002)
In 1947 Clarke was elected Reeve of Wollaston Township and in 1950 was elected warden of Hastings County. His father Charles, had been Warden in 1927 and that made them the first father and son to hold this office. The position seemed to run in the family because his one uncle William Nugent, also reeve of Wollaston, held the office in 1915. His uncle Walter Whytock reeve of Madoc was warden in 1933, and his cousin Samuel Rollins of Tweed was warden in 1928. Politics seemed to be in the family blood.
Clarke operated the Coe Hill General Store with Dave Wannamaker eventually selling his share to his partner. Rollins started a Shell Oil dealership which in 1959 he moved to Dungannon Township and continued to operate for 55 years. In 1984 Clarke sold his Shell Oil dealership.
In 1959 he was elected to the Ontario Provincial Legislature. Clarke served under Premiers Lester Frost, John Robarts and William Davis. In 1971 he was appointed Chairman of the St. Lawrence Parks Commission, a position he held until his retirement in 1981. During his time as Chairman he had the honour of escorting Queen Elizabeth the II and her son His Royal Highness Prince Andrew on a tour of Upper Canada Village. Clarke and Bev were honoured to have lunch with the royal Family on the Royal yacht Britannia.
During his term as MPP he worked closely with Municipal and County Councils and much was accomplished. The Deseronto Skyway and Buckhorn bridges were built as well as the OPP station in Belleville and MTO buildings and garages. The senior citizens homes in Stirling, Madoc, Bancroft, Deseronto, Marmora and Tweed were constructed and opened during Clarke’s tenure.
Clarke was very involved in assuring that Loyalist College was approved for Belleville by the Provincial Government. There apparently was a discussion that there would not be the resources and other areas of the province were vying for college campuses. Clarke worked closely with Rev. Father Henry Maloney and Judge Anderson to persuade the Premier that Belleville was deserving and needed. Their efforts were rewarded with Loyalist College being located in Sidney Township with a satellite campus in Bancroft.
In 1991 Clarke was awarded the 125 Anniversary Medallion. He was a life member of Bancroft Lodge AF & AM #482, Ramese Temple, Kawartha Shrine Club, Royal Order of Jesters, Lift Lock Bilkin Club, and a member of the Algonquin Shrine Club.
Clarke was a member of St. John’s Anglican Church in Bancroft. He passed away on November 25th 1996. Clarke and Andrew rest in the Mausoleum in Belleville.