Elizabeth Rouse was one of the first teachers in Bancroft. When the new school was built on the top of the Flint Street Hill she was the first teacher there.
She and her husband Michael (Mick) were married in Peterborough in 1893. He was born in Maynooth and she was born along the old Hastings Road in Umfraville. They lived at the corner of Cleak and Faraday Streets in the house still in that location. Many people in town still call the hill Rouse’s hill. They have fond memories of riding their bob sleds at quit a clip down that hill and going as far as Hastings Street.
They had a hardware store on the east side of Hastings Street in what was known as the Rouse Block, south of Flint Street. They were very active in the community. Mick was captain of the fire brigade. He went with Mr. Sargent, the first banker in Bancroft, on an investment excursion to Cuba.
Mick died at a young age in his early 40’s and left Elizabeth to raise her brood of six children. Claude her oldest son was a carpenter responsible for building many houses and cottages in the area. Her son Joe worked for the railroad, her son Dermott served during WWII and returned to practice dentistry in Bancroft. He daughters Mona and Hilda had a Ladies Ware and Linen Shop in the Rouse Block. Her daughter Annie died of tuberculosis at the age of eleven.