Hugh’s father James W. was born in Boston Mass. in about 1855. When he was an infant his parents moved to Tyendinaga, Hastings County and soon after to Ormsby. At the age of ten he accompanied his older brother to Bancroft where they built a log house and started a small farm. In an interview in the Peterborough Examiner in 1937 James recalls watching the town grow from two families to a population of about one thousand.
Hugh Vance, son of James and his second wife Sarah Christina McGillvray, was christened George Hughey. His brothers and sisters were John Irvine, Wm. Harold, Ida Pearl and Mary Elizabeth. He had three step brothers Robert, William and John (Jack) from his father’s first marriage to Wealtha Walker.
Hugh worked for Ed Maxwell in his garage until he was able to launch his own garage business in 1944. He bought the livery stable where present day Vance’s garage sits. Bob Robinson who owned the livery stable which also had gas pumps died suddenly and Hugh bought the property from his widow. During the mining boom Hugh obtained the Chrysler dealership in 1957. Hugh’s son Joe took over the business and Joe’s son Kevin has the business today.
Hugh was an avid hunter and fisherman who loved the outdoors. He was a member of the famous “Hasty P’s” a reserve regiment of Hastings County.
He married Frances Eliza Mary Sleeper in 1932. They had five children, Joseph Max, James Elvin, John Allan, George Francis, and Lynda Nancy Lou. Frances was school teacher until her retirement.