First came to town in the mid forties and established Dominion Essential Oils. He moved his family here in 1948 when the high school opened. He believed that education was very important and encouraged his children to take advantage of every opportunity.
Jack was Reeve of Bancroft from 1956 to 1962 and from 1966 to 1972. He was warden of Hastings County in 1959. These years saw the development of the Uranium Mines in the area and the rapid growth and development of the town and surrounding areas.
He and Whitney Martin started Bancroft Lumber which is now Rona south on Highway 62. Later he bought out Whitney and was the sole owner of the lumber company. He was on the Lion's Club committee in 1945 to build a covered arena across from the Post Office and again in 1972 when the new Arena and community centre was built on Faraday Heights. He made a personal trip to Toronto to approach the Canada Packers Company executives for a donation toward the building of the first arena. That company gave $5000 toward the construction costs.
As Reeve from 1956 to 1972 he negotiated with Faraday Mines to build its town site within the town limits. As a result the subdivision near the North Hastings Community Centre was built and named Faraday Heights. During his tenure in 1957 water and sewer services were introduced to large areas of town. Because a new and larger Post Office was needed and the word from Canada Post was that Bancroft was not on the list for a new building for years, Jack as Reeve took action. He went to Trenton Ontario and spoke to the Senator and a new Post Office was started immediately. It opened in 1957.
Jack was a founding member of the Bancroft Lion's Club. That group played an important role in creating the swimming pool south of the Station Street bridge, organizing the Santa Claus Parade, and worked with others to build the Bancroft Curling Club in 1957.
He had dream for an airport in Bancroft. He purchased the land and got started clearing and preparing the ground for the first runway. He organized an interested group which included, Carl Bierworth, Dr. Volker Lehinant, Greg Anderson, and Jack Hattin and asked them to "throw in some money". He enlisted anyone and everyone who would volunteer time and energy clear, rake, sweat and brave the bugs to allow planes to land and take off from Bancroft. He formalized the interested flyers into the Bancroft Flying Club.
He was director of the Eastern Ontario Development Corporation. He was Chairman of the Finance Committee that was responsible for building the Court House in Belleville. He was on the Board of Directors of Belleville General Hospital. During expansion of the hospital he was on the finance committee.
Jack exemplified that hard work and vision can accomplish what is considered impossible.